Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Princess Slip

My latest sewing project is the "Princess Slip". This is an original pattern from 1912 which has been digitized and made available online by The Vintage Pattern Lending Library. I chose a cream-colored cotton fabric and matching cotton lace with ribbon running through it. I printed up the pattern on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, and then taped them all together. They went together very nicely. When I started sewing, I had a bit of trouble with some of the lace insertions. The two going down the side fronts are centered over curved seams, which made rolling the fabric under to finish the inside a bit tricky. The insertions that weren't over seams went a lot better. Once I finished the lace insertions, assembling the rest of the body went like a breeze. I cheated and zig-zagged the raw edges - very un-authentic. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the back button placket - the instructions weren't clear on that, but I just did what seemed logical, and I think it turned out just fine. Hopefully within the next few days I'll be able to finish the project up and post some final pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment