Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The one day dress

This dress was a spur of the moment project - I was looking at patterns at Joanns, and found this one, (Simplicity pattern's amazing fit 1882, available at http://www.simplicity.com/p-7455-misses-amazing-fit-dresses.aspx )that looked 40's style to me. Then, when I was looking at red-tag clearance fabric, I found this fabric that looked 40's style. So, on an impulse, I bought both, brought them home, and got it all cut out. Then, it sat around for about a week, because I was working on the Princess slip. In the meantime, I found a really nice pair of pinking shears at a thrift shop. I decided to try them out on my 40's dress, since that would be a period-correct method for finishing the seams. I couldn't believe how much time it saved me to pink the seam allowances! This patterns wasn't the simplest in the world, but I made it in one day - a day that also included babysitting, shopping, and working a 4 hour shift. I'm now a really big fan of pinking - I don't know why I never tried it before. The dress didn't go together perfectly - some of my seams didn't end up lining up the way they should, but the general effect is really cute, and I really like it. Next time I make this pattern, I'm going to try to make sure my seams line up better, but other than that, it's perfect the way it is.

The Completed Princess Slip

The princess slip is finished, and I love the way it turned out! I would have posted sooner, but I mislaid my camera, and wasn't able to get the pictures I wanted. The most time consuming part of the project was pleating the ruffle. I measured, pinned, ironed, and re-ironed. There must be a better way to do it. I added lace around the neckline and armholes. I decided to skip the eyelet lace and ribbon, around the neck since all of the lace insertions have ribbon running through them. When I tried it on, I realized why I should have done the eyelet and ribbon. The neckline it very wide - the shoulders hardly stay up on me, so if I'd had eyelet around the neckline, I would have been able to use the ribbon as a drawstring, and draw it up to fit. If I make this pattern again, I'll adjust it to make the neckline fit me better.

Pattern Review Checklist:

  1. Pattern Description: Slip pattern from 1912, with insertion lace trim.
  2. Pattern Sizing: 36” bust
  3. Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes, except that the neckline turned out a lot wider than shown in the picture.
  4. Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, except that the placket instructions were not clear.
  5. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the elegance of the design.
  6. Fabric Used: Cream colored cotton
  7. Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None.
  8. Would you recommend this pattern to others? Absolutely!
  9. Conclusion: I really enjoyed making this slip, and I would love to make it again sometime, altering it to be a dress.

VPLL Checklist

  1. Pattern Name: Princess Slip, pattern 0336
  2. Sewer’s Skill Level: Intermediate
  3. Pattern Rating: 1-Not a Fan, 2 – So-So, 3 – Good/Average, 4-Better than Average, 5-I LOVED IT! and why? It is simple and logical, and yet made a beautiful garment.
  4. What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern and why? I would say that any intermediate seamstress would be able to sew this pattern. The insertion lace and the pleating might be overwhelming for a beginning seamstress.
  5. Were the instructions easy to follow? If not, what needs to be changed? It would be nice if more detailed instructions were added for making the placket.
  6. How was the fit/sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought? Yes, it turned out slightly too large for me, which was exactly how I thought it would turn out.
  7. Did you make any pattern alterations? If so, what alterations did you make? Where they fit or design alterations? I didn’t make any alterations.
  8. Other notes:

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Princess Slip

My latest sewing project is the "Princess Slip". This is an original pattern from 1912 which has been digitized and made available online by The Vintage Pattern Lending Library. I chose a cream-colored cotton fabric and matching cotton lace with ribbon running through it. I printed up the pattern on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, and then taped them all together. They went together very nicely. When I started sewing, I had a bit of trouble with some of the lace insertions. The two going down the side fronts are centered over curved seams, which made rolling the fabric under to finish the inside a bit tricky. The insertions that weren't over seams went a lot better. Once I finished the lace insertions, assembling the rest of the body went like a breeze. I cheated and zig-zagged the raw edges - very un-authentic. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the back button placket - the instructions weren't clear on that, but I just did what seemed logical, and I think it turned out just fine. Hopefully within the next few days I'll be able to finish the project up and post some final pictures.